The meeting was called to order at 7:30 by Chair Scott Mead.
Supervisors Scott Mead, Lee Kaplan and Don Swanstrom; and Treasurer Kim Hand
Number of residents present – 5. Nonresidents – 1
The minutes from the November meeting were approved following a motion by Don and a second by Lee. Motion approved, 3-0
$238,770.92 – Cash on hand as of Oct. 31
$20,083.83 – Deposits
$1,548.17 – Expenditures
$257,305.98 – Cash on hand as of Nov. 30,
Motion by Scott, seconded by Don, to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion carried, 3-0.
• Township property. Lee will contact Beth Peterson, Southern St. Louis County Soil and Water District, to have her prepare a proposal and contract regarding her liaison with the county on necessary permits to access the property off Rossini and other coordination with the county as necessary, coordination of the work of Waste Wood Recyclers who will be clearing/logging the property, marking of the eastern boundaries of the township land, and a conservsation plan for future plantings.
• Discussion of the contract with Waste Wood Recyclers. It was recommended that an end date be added to the contract to make sure the work is done.
• Township Road. The county has required that work be done on West Branch Road to facilitate its plowing of the road. It has agreed to plow this year but said the work must be done by next winter. Scott will contact possible contractors to see if he can get a cost for the removal of various banks along certain parts of the road to prevent the plowed snow from falling back on the road and also to expand the turn around at the north end of West Branch Road. The cost is needed in time for the annual meeting in March and discussion of the annual levy.
• Treasurer’s Position. Residents will be notified that the position of treasurer is open for the upcoming term through an email/mailed letter right after Jan. 1 A job description of the position will be attached. If there is not a qualified candidate, Option B will be voted on at the annual meeting which allows the township to appoint a treasurer. There is a treasurer in another township who has agreed to serve if no resident can. The job description is also posted on the township website.
• Don agreed to be the Weed Inspector. The State has required that the township complete a weed control report and appoint a weed inspector regarding noxious or hazardous weeds.
• Scott reported on his attendance at the annual Minnesota Township Association meeting on broadband internet on Nov. 18.
• Scott read a letter to be sent to the St. Louis County Commissioners stating the township’s support of Normanna Township’s land use plan. Scott made a motion to approve the letter. Lee seconded. Motion passed.
• January agenda – items for inclusion should be sent to Kim Hand in the absence of clerk Lita Wallace.
Claims and Payroll
• Check numbers: 1097 to 1110. in the total amount of $2,271.51
Next meeting: January 10 at 7:30 a.m., Pequaywan Fire Department, 8764 Pequaywan Lake Road
Motion of Adjourn meeting by Scott, second by Don. Motion passed, 3-0. Meeting adjourned at 8:35.
Minutes submitted by Judy Strom.